Cristiano Ronaldo crowned UEFA Best Player in Europe award
Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo (31) has won the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for the year 2015-16.
This is second time he has won this award after he was crowned for first time in 2013–14. To bag this award, Ronaldo defeated Antoine Griezmann and Gareth Bale.
In 2015, he had scored 35 goals for Real Madrid and 16 goals in Champions League competition. He scored 3 goals for Portugal national team at Euro 2016.
Other Category winners
- Ada Hegerberg: She was crowned with UEFA Best Women’s Player in Europe Award for the year 2015-16.
- Lionel Messi: He was crowed UEFA Goal of the Season award for the 2015-16. He had won the award for his strike against Roma. His famous goal had received 73331 votes.
About UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- The award is an association football award given to the footballer playing for a football club in Europe that is considered the best in the previous season.
- The award was created in 2011 by UEFA and had replaced the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year award.
- It aimed at reviving European Footballer of the Year Award (Ballon d’Or) which was merged with the FIFA World Player of the Year Award in 2010 to become the FIFA Ballon d’Or.