Cristiano Ronaldo named the world’s best player for 2016
Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo was named the world’s best player for the year 2016 at the inaugural Best FIFA Football Awards held in Zurich, Switzerland. To win this title he received 34.54% of total votes.
He defeated Barcelona’s Lionel Messi (26.42%), Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann (7.53%) to win the coveted prize.
Other 2016 awardees are
- Best FIFA Women’s Player: Carli Lloydll (US).
- Best FIFA Men’s Coach: Claudio Ranieri (Italy).
- Best FIFA Women’s Coach: Silvia Neid (Germany).
- FIFA Puskas Award: Mohd Faiz Subri (Malaysia).
- FIFA Fair Play Award: Atletico Nacional
- FIFA Award for an Outstanding Career: Falcao (Brazil).
- FIFA Fan Award: Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool supporters.
About Best FIFA Football Awards
The Best FIFA Football Awards are an association football awards presented annually by the FIFA. They are awared in by FIFA to several individuals across different categories. The selection criteria for the (men’s and women’s) players of the year are: sporting performance, general conduct on and off the pitch from 20 November 2015 to 22 November 2016. The selected will be voted by media representatives, national team coaches, and national team captains.