CSIR-CIMAP signs MoU with IORA to host coordinating centre on medicinal plants
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) has entered into MoU with Indian Ocean Rim Association’s (IORA’s) Regional Centre for Science and Technology Transfer (RCSTT) for designating Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Lucknow (CSIR-CIMAP) as Coordinating Centre on Medicinal Plants.
The IORA Centre at CSIR-CIMAP will establish database on important medicinal plants, their value added products, related experts and industries of IORA member states. It will also organize meetings and training programmes to promote trade, commerce and scientific exchanges to complement strength and limitation of member states. The IORA is association of 21 countries and 7 dialogue partners which have identified six areas of cooperation including medicinal plants.
The Coordination Centre will promote cooperation in area of traditional knowledge related to medicinal plants for welfare of people of IORA member states. It will also provide opportunity for two important member states of IORA (India and Iran) to enhance cooperation between them.
IORA Regional Centre for Science and Technology Transfer (IORA RCSTT)
IORA RCSTT intergovernmental regional organization established in October 2008 pursuant to recommendation of Academic Group of IORA. It is headquartered in Tehran, Iran. It has the status of the subsidiary body of the IORA, functioning under authority of IORA secretariat and IORA Council of Ministers
- Develope centre of excellence to facilitate transfer of technology at regional level with open regionalism.
- Assist Member States and dialogue partners of IORA to institutionalize joint efforts aimed at commercializing of technology with strategic value for region
- Provide national focal points with platform to supply technical support and coordinate direction for projects of RCSTT in form of regional clustering and networking of key stakeholders at the international and domestic levels
- Serve as a bridge to link the region to relevant international centers of excellence
- Facilitate joint technology development, dissemination and commercialization among Member states
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018