Current Affairs Daily Digest: January 4, 2017
The Current Affairs Daily Digest for January 4, 2017 with important tid-bits on current affairs.
National Current Affairs
Election Commission announces dates for assembly elections in five states
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has announced the dates for the assembly elections in five states– Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur and Goa.
- With the Election Commission announcement the Model code of conduct has come into effect. Counting of votes for all five states will take place on 11 March 2017. Read more
Justice JS Khehar sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of India
- Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar was sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- He was administered oath to the office by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi. With this, he became the first person from Sikh communitry to become the CJI. Read more
Government launches Swachh Bharat Survekshan 2017 in 500 cities
The Union Ministry of Urban Development launched Swachh Survekshan 2017 to rank 500 cities/towns across the country on cleanliness with a population of 1 lakh and above The survey will be conducted by Quality Council of India (QCI) under the Swacch Bharat Abhiyan in a bid to encourage competition to improve sanitation. Read more
Government approves new projects under Namami Gange for Haridwar and Varanasi
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved new projects under Namami Gange programme in Haridwar (Uttarakhand) and Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh).
- In Haridwar, 68 MLD sewage treatment plants (STP) and 14 MLD STP in Sarai was with Central government funding and also under Hybrid Annuity based PPP mode. Read more
International Current Affairs
China launches first freight train to London
Donald Trump names Robert Lighthizer as US trade representative
Ivan Rogers, Britain’s Ambassador to the EU resigns
Paul Ryan re-elected as US House Speaker
Banking, Business & Economy
Oil companies to offer discount of Rs. 5 per LPG cylinder on online booking
Paytm Payments Bank gets final RBI approval
India ranks third among countries offering highest salaries to expats: HSBC
Service charge not mandatory at restaurants and hotels: Government
OVL qualifies to bid for Iran oil, gas projects
Persons in News
CJI TS Thakur retires
5 Indian Americans took oath as members of Congress
British art critic, author John Berger passes away
RBI appoints Surekha Marandi as executive director
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed Surekha Marandi as its Executive Director (ED).
- In her new role, she will look after Consumer Education and Protection Department, Financial Inclusion and Development Department, and Secretary’s Department of the RBI. Read more
Google Doodle pays tribute to India’s social reformer Savitribai Phule
- Search engine giant Google honoured India’s 19th Century social reformer Savitribai Phule on the occasion of her 186th birth anniversary (3 January 2017) by dedicating a doodle on its webpage.
- She was among the country’s first women to speak up for the rights of women. She was the first woman teacher of the first women’s school in India and also a first pioneer in modern Marathi poetry.
Sports Current Affairs
Balaji appointed as bowling coach of KKR