Defending champion Karnataka wins Ranji Trophy 2015
Defending champion Karnataka on 12 March 2015 won Ranji Trophy for season 2014-2015.
Karnataka defeated Tamil Nadu by an innings and 217 runs in the final day of match played at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai. With this victory, Karnataka clinched eight Ranji title.
The man of the match was Karnataka’s Karun Nair who had scored 338 runs. The captain of Karnataka team was R Vinay Kumar and of Tamil Nadu team was Abhinav Mukund.
Karnataka’s previous Ranji Trophy wins
- First Ranji Title won by Karnataka was in season 1973–74. Later, they had won the championship title in 1977–78, 1982–83, 1995–96, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2013–14 and 2014–15 season.
- In Ranji Title season 2013–14, they had defeated Mumbai.
About Ranji Trophy
- Ranji Trophy is a domestic first-class cricket championship in India. It played between teams representing regional cricket associations.
- At present, the championship is played between 27 teams which include 21 states (of the 29 Indian states) and Delhi (UT). The tournament format of Ranji Trophy is Round-robin then knockout.
- The trophy is named after England and Sussex cricketer Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji and was first played in 1934.
- In the history of Ranji Trophy, Mumbai (formerly Bombay) has recorded most wins i.e. 40 wins.
Categories: Sports Current Affairs 2018