“Dendroid” -Android Malware targeting Indian Users
The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-IN) warned about a currently active Dendroid malware campaign that is spreading across India, targeting Android users.
About Android Malware “Dendroid”
- Belongs to deadly ‘Trojan’ family.
- Created by modifying the required permissions by any clean APK (Android Application Package) with Dendroid RAT functionality that allows detailed management of the infected devices.
- Once activated in our smartphone, could affect and control all applications in our android phone and intercept private SMSes coming in or going out.
The malicious toolkit, Dendroid is able to generate a customized malicious APK file that offers many amazing features viz.
- Can delete and modify call logs and contacts.
- Can open any web page on device browser.
- Dialing any number.
- Recording calls.
- Intercepting device messages.
- Uploading images and videos to remote server.
- Can open an installed application.
- Able to perform DoS attack from the victim’s device.
- Can change the command and control server location.
Measures to protect from malicious malware “ Dendroid”
- Install applications downloaded from reputed app stores only.
- Keep updating your mobile anti-virus and Firewall solution to protect your device from malware and cyber attacks.
- Always Check applications’ permissions before installing it.
- Avoid using unsecured and unknown Wi-Fi networks.
- Advise by Indian cybersecurity: To keep an eye on data usage (application-wise usage also) and unusual increase in mobile bills and keep an eye on device battery usage (application-wise usage also).
Note: The CERT-In is the nodal agency to combat hacking, phishing and to fortify security-related defences of the Indian Internet domain.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017