Dr. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey appointed as Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
Union Government has appointed Dr. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey as the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) for a period of three years.
Prior to this appointment, Dr. Pandey was associated with NGO Saksham working in the field of disability. He is a Science Graduate from University of Allahabad and Medical Graduate from Agra University in 1990.
He was also associated NGO with Sewa Bharti and there he had worked in rehabilitation of slum dwellers. He was also associated with NGO Akhil Bhartiya Dristihin Kalyan Sangh which is working for visually challenged persons.
About Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD)
- The CCPD is appointed by the Central Government from persons having special knowledge or practical experience in matters relating to rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities.
- Office of CCPD is statutory government agency functioning under the aegis of Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- It has been established as per the provisions of Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights & Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- The Chief Commissioner has been vested with the power of a civil court under the Code of Civil Procedure (CCP).
- Functions: It is mandated to take steps to safeguard the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Take steps to safeguard the rights and facilities made available to persons with disabilities.
- Submit reports to the Central Government on the implementation of the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995.
- Coordinate the work of the state Governments’ and UT Commissioners to monitor the utilization of funds disbursed by the Union Government.