K Durga Prasad appointed as Special DG of CRPF
Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed K Durga Prasad as the special director general (DG) of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
He will be in office for next three years or till further orders, whichever is earlier.
K Durga Prasad
- He is IPS officer of 1981 batch from Andhra Pradesh cadre.
- Before this appointed, he was director of the Special Protection Group (SPG), but was removed from this post in November 2014.
- It should be noted that SPG provides security to the prime minister, former prime ministers and their family members.
About Central Reserve Police Force (CRFP)
- CRPF is the largest Central Armed Police Forces in India. It operates under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It was established in 1939, under Crown Representative’s Police but after independence it was made statutory Central Reserve Police Force after the enactment of the CRPF Act, 1949.
- At present CRPF is the world’s largest paramilitary force with 228 battalions and over three lakh personnel.
- Function: Its primary role is to assist States/Union Territories in police operations to maintain law and order and contain insurgency.
Categories: Persons in News