Environment Flows and Assessment Workshop
Union Minister for Jal Shakti inaugurated the International Workshop on Environment Flows.
- The Minister released the Guidance Document on Environment Flow Assessment. It is the first of its kind.
- The workshop aims at answering the following questions
- What is the overall aim for environment flows assessment in India?
- What are the long term and short-term goals to implement environment flows according to overall aims and targets?
- The workshop brings together the Indian and European experiences.
- National and International experts from Germany, UK, Africa, Bhutan, Poland, Netherlands and South Africa are participating in the workshop
According to the IUCN,
- Environmental flow is the water provided within the river, wetland or coastal zone to maintain ecosystems and their benefits.
- It is a tool for allocating water among multiple, competing uses in a river basin or watershed.
- The Environmental Flows provide the means for integrated management of river flows to meet the needs of the people, industry, agriculture, energy and ecosystems.
For instance, River Ganga
- Supports 400 million people
- It provides unique ecosystem to the India’s National Aquatic animal Gangetic Dolphins, turtles and gharials