Environmentalist Ms. Almitra Patel
Environmentalist Ms. Almitra Patel is the member of Supreme Court Committee for Solid Waste Management of India. She has a very strong technical background and experience in several engineering fields, good para-medical knowledge and on a wide variety of pollution-related issues.
About Ms. Patel’s work in the field of environment & solid waste management practices
- Honorary Tree Warden for Karnataka.
- Founder Member of Swabhimana.
- Fought a successful battle against poor solid waste management and filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) to force the Union Government to put in place effective solid waste management rules in the country.
- Designed and supervised construction of 41 low-cost homes, 22 poultry sheds and 2 large school buildings.
- Designed and built a gender-friendly low-cost toilet to prevent blockage of sewers.
- Convener, INTACH Waste Network.
- Honorary Advisor / supporter / mentor of numerous students, entrepreneurs, individuals and NGOs in the fields of Environment, Solid Waste Management and Waste Water Management.
- Award(s): Economic Times’ Achiever of the Year for Environment in Karnataka, Golden Jubilee Award for Environment from Bangalore City Corp’n, Kempegowda Award-winner for Environment, etc.
- Publications: Vacuum Concrete, Track Down Your Induction Furnace Lining Problems, Strategies for Slum – Free cities : A Discussion Paper, etc.
Note: Municipal Solid Wastes (Management and Handling) Rules 2000 apply to every municipal authority that would be responsible for the collection, segregation, processing, transportation and disposal of solid waste.