eSanjeevani Medicine Platform: 1.5 lakh Online Consultations provided
The web based comprehensive Telemedicine solution eSanjeevani has so far provided 1.58 lakh online consultations according to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The online platform was operationalised in more than 23 states. It covers more than 75% of population in the country. There are two types of teleconsultation under the platform. They are as follows
- eSanjeevani (doctor-to-doctor)
- Patient-to-doctor (eSanjeevani OPD)
The eSanjeevani is implemented under Ayushman Bharat health initiative. The scheme aims to connect all the 1.5 lakh health and wellness centre established under Ayushman Bharat. So far, 12,000 health professionals have been provided training through 3,000 of these centres. Around 250 specialists are available on daily basis on the platform. However, the service is restricted only to Android App users.
The main feature of the platform is that it uses MIS-based applications. It is designed for users to choose varied specialties such as tele-cardiology, tele-ophthalmology, etc. It also includes Comprehensive Electronic Medical Record, video conferencing, tele-consultation. It complies with international standards such as
- TWAIN (Technology without an Interesting Name)
- DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communication in Medicine)
The scheme was launched in 2018 by PM Modi. The scheme aims to provide free insurance coverage of up to Rs 5 lakhs per family per year. The scheme is meant only for the poor. Based on the Socio-Economic Caste Census data, around 74 crores of beneficiary families have been identified.
India needs to focus more on health sector for the following reasons
- According to the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), about 86% of rural households and 82% of urban households do not have access to health cares.
- Around 19% of urban households and 24% of rural households meet their health care needs through borrowing
- Around 17% of population in the country spend minimum of 1/10th of their household budget to avail health services.
The Government of India had announced the beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat can avail free COVID-19 tests in any of the Government authorised laboratories.