ESPNcricinfo Awards 2013: “Sachin Tendulkar”- Cricketer of the Generation
Indian Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has been voted the cricketer of the generation by a 50-member jury of current and former cricketers and journalists. The award is meant to honour the most outstanding cricketer between the years 1993 and 2013.
The award ceremony was organized in Mumbai to also mark the 20th anniversary celebrations for the cricket website.
Winners of ESPNcricinfo Award 2013
- Test batting award: Shikhar Dhawan (India) for his rollicking 187 on debut against Australia in Mohali in 2013.
- ODI bowling award: Shahid Afridi (Pakistan) (he won in the same category for 2009).
- Test bowling title: Mitchell Johnson (Australia).
- Debutant of the Year (new category): Mohammed Shami (India) who took 17 wickets in his four Tests in 2013, and 30 ODI wickets.
- Contribution to Cricket Award: Mr. Tarak Sinha (head coach of the Sonnet Cricket Club in Delhi).
- Cricket for Good award: Rahul Dravid (India) for his mentorship of junior and paralympic athletes in India in his association with the GoSports Foundation.
- Statsguru Award: South Africans AB de Villiers (South Africa) and Dale Steyn (South Africa).
- Batsman of the Year, Best Test Batsman, and Most Consistent Batsman: AB de Villiers (South Africa).
- Bowler of the Year and the Best Test Bowler: Dale Steyn (South Africa).
Note: The ESPNcricinfo Awards 2013 recognized the best individual performances in cricket, in Tests, ODIs and Twenty20. The winners are voted on by an independent jury of former cricketers, commentators and ESPNcricinfo’s senior writers. This was the 7th edition of the ESPNcricinfo Awards.