Exclusive Satellite to help in securing Pakistan and Bangladesh borders
Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) will launch a satellite exclusively for the Union Home Ministry to help it in strengthening its frontiers with Pakistan and Bangladesh among others.
Features of the exclusive satellite for Border Management
The important features of the exclusive satellite for Border Management are:
- The exclusive satellite will be utilised for the purpose of using space resources for security, operational planning and border infrastructure development.
- It would strengthen island and border security and facilitate the development of infrastructure in border and island areas.
- A short, medium and long-term plan have been proposed for implementation in five years in close coordination with the ISRO and the Union Defence Ministry for the implementation in a time-bound manner.
- Under short term plan, immediate needs of border guarding forces will be met by procurement of high-resolution imagery and the hiring of bandwidth for communications.
- Under the mid-term plan, one satellite is being launched by the ISRO for the exclusive use of the MHA.
- Under long term plan, the MHA will develop ground segment and network infrastructure to share satellite resources by user agencies, develop a central archival facility for storing various imagery resources and dissemination of the same to user agencies.
The plan for an exclusive satellite has been formulated based on the recommendations made by a task force on the use of space technology in improving border management.