Fact Box: February 28 – The National Science Day
Every year February 28 is celebrated as the National Science Day Rashtriya Vigyan Diwas (राष्ट्रीय विज्ञान दिवस).
Why National Science Day is celebrated?
- 1928- To mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman on February 28, 1928. For this discovery, Sir C.V.Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
- 1986- The NCSTC (National Council for Science and Technology Communication) demanded the Government of India to assign February 28 every year as the ‘National Science Day’ for India.
- 2000- The first National Science Day was celebrated on February 28,2000.
- 2013- The American Chemical Society designated the ‘Raman Effect’ as an International Historic Chemical Landmark.
- Theme for the National Science Day 2013 – “Genetically Modified Crops and Food Security”
Categories: Persons in News