Flipora: Social Surfing service
A Social Surfing service
A Personalized Search (webpage recommendation) and Discovery engine
Made by Infoaxe Inc.
- Formerly called InfoAxe, Flipora grew from a service that helped users simply find sites they’ve already visited.
- Flipora helps user remember the great websites (s)he visits (with web history search) and recommends great websites based on what user liked in the past.
- It aims at helping internet users find interesting web-pages on the topics that they like.
- It provides significant social surfing recommendations to help users discover and enjoy new web content and sites.
- Flipora currently has 8 million users.
Flipora’s Indian Connection:
- Founded by two Indian graduates from Stanford University.
- Jonathan Siddharth and Vijay Krishnan
How does Flipora work? … Negative side of Flipora…
How does Flipora work?
- Flipora uses a user’s browsing history in order to understand their interests and offer them personalized recommendations.
- It also uses the aggregate anonymized browsing histories of its millions of users to identify fresh and popular web-pages on different topics.
- It helps users discover new websites based on the interests that their browsing habits shows.
Negative side of Flipora:
- In order to promote itself, Flipora utilizes spam and phishing techniques to gather email addresses.
- When one signs up (s)he inadvertently gives Flipora an access to his/her email address book and Flipora uses that information to send all of their friends, family and co-workers junk mail inviting them to also use Flip, Flipora and Infoaxe.
- It is held that Flipora might also be selling email address book information to third party spammers.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking