FSSAI inks MoU with ASCI to check misleading advertisements in food and beverages sector
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has inked a MoU with Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI) to check misleading advertisements in the food and beverages sector.
This partnership between FSSAI and ASCI will put in place a mechanism to monitor misleading advertisements. It will also lead to streamlining advertisements effectively through structured guidelines and appropriate action.
- As part of the MoU, ASCI will comprehensively monitor these advertisements across various media.
- FSSAI has given a suo motu monitoring mandate to ASCI to process complaints against misleading advertisements of food and beverages.
- ASCI will report to FSSAI, the non- compliance of its decisions for further action as required per provisions of the FSS Act.
- FSSAI will also redirect complaints against misleading food and beverages advertisements to ASCI, which will be reviewed using ASCI’s code and guidelines.
- The review will include violation of the FSS Act and regulations related to advertisements making unsubstantiated, misleading or false claims.
About Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
- ASCI is a self-regulatory voluntary non-governmental organization (NGO) of the advertising industry in India.
- Aim: To maintain and enhance the public’s confidence in advertising.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Established: 1985 by three main constituents of advertising industry viz advertisers, advertising agencies and media.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking