G. B. Pradhan is the new Chairperson of the CERC
Union Government of India appointed Gireesh B. Pradhan, former Secretary of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, as the Chairperson of the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC).
What is CERC?
Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) is a statutory body functioning under section 76 of the Electricity Act 2003. Previously, it was constituted under the Electricity Regulatory Commissions Act, 1998.
Functions of CERC:
- Tariff regulation of electricity generating companies owned or controlled by the Central Government
- Regulation of the inter-State transmission of electricity
- Determine tariff for Inter-State transmission of electricity
- Issue licenses to persons to function as transmission licensee and electricity trader with respect to their inter-State operations
- Adjudicate upon disputes involving generating companies or transmission licensee
- Specify Grid Code having regard to Grid Standards
- Specify and enforce the standards with respect to quality, continuity and reliability of service by licensees
- Fix the trading margin in the inter-State trading of electricity, if considered, necessary
- Discharge such other functions as may be assigned under the Act.
Tags: Current Affairs 2013