Geeta Johri appointed as first woman DGP of Gujarat
Gujarat government has appointed senior IPS officer Geeta Johri as the Director General of Police (DGP) of the state. With this she became the first female DGP of Gujarat.
Her appointment comes after she was elevated to the post after the state DGP PC Thakur was transferred to centre as the Director General (DG) of Civil Defence and Home Guards on deputation.
About Geeta Johri
- She is IPS officer of the 1982 batch of Gujarat Cadre. She holds the distinction of being Gujarat’s first women IPS officer.
- She had started her policing career in 1982 in Ahmedabad and later was posted to Gandhinagar and Vadodara.
- She catapulted in to fame after taking on mafia don Abdul Latif by raiding his den in Popatiawad at Dariapur and arrested his gunman Sharif Khan in September 1992.
- Earlier in April 2015, she was promoted from the rank of Additional DGP (ADGP) to Director General of Police after the CBI court had dropped charges against her in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
- She also continued serving as Managing Director of the Gujarat State Police Housing Corporation till April 2016.
- She was also one of the members of the Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) which had probed the ten most heinous cases of 2002 riots. It was headed by former CBI Chief RK Raghavan.
Categories: Persons in News