Germany’s ex-President Richard von Weizsaecker passes away
Germany’s former President Richard von Weizsaecker has passed away on 31 January 2015. He was 94.
He was in office as President for 10 years, from 1984 to 1994. His tenure also spanned the period of German reunification (Reunion of East and West Germany).
Richard von Weizsaecker
- He was a soldier in the German army in World War II. Later, he was a member of the Christian Democratic Union.
- In 1980’s, he had served as the governing mayor of West Berlin.
- He was elected as President for first time in 1984. In 1989, he was elected unopposed to a second term. During his second term he oversaw the initial years of a reunited Germany as President (largely a ceremonial presidency).
- As a President he had won widespread praise worldwide for his efforts to persuade Germans to confront their Nazi past.
- In 1986, he had addressed a joint session of the UK parliament thus becoming the first German to do so.