Ghaziabad, Allahabad most polluted in Uttar Pradesh: Survey
In a recent survey conducted by Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) it was found that Ghaziabad and Allahabad are the two most air polluted cities in Uttar Pradesh. As per the survey:
- Pollutants of the size of 10 micron was found in Ghaziabad, Allahabad, Kanpur and Bareilly, which was four times the acceptable size of particulates in urban areas.
- Air pollution levels were thrice as high as the prescribed limits in Lucknow, Firozabad, Agra, Mathura, Khurja, Saharanpur, Moradabad and Gajraula.
- Unnao has come out as the cleanest air quality despite a heavy presence of tanneries in the town.
- Nitrogen-di-oxide pollutant is found to be increasing dangerously in Meerut, Gorakhpur, Ghaziabad and Kanpur. It is the highest in Meerut and lowest in Rae Bareilly.
- Khurja and Ghaziabad have dangerous levels of sulphur-di-oxide mixed in the air.
- The presence of multi-pollutants was found in cities like Mathura, Khurja and Ghaziabad.
- The leading cause of pollution was found to be the manifold increase in the number of vehicles.
- The growing use of diesel was a major contributor to the growing air pollution levels. The emissions were leading to serious ailments and diseases like cancer.