Global billionaire population reaches 2,170 billionaires; Asia fastest-growing region
According to the Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2013, Asia has recorded the largest increase in its billionaires club in the world adding 18 new billionaires in 2013, making it the fastest-growing region. The study was centred solely on persons with a net worth of $ 30 million and above.
As per the report:
- Asia witnessed the highest percentage increase in billionaire population (3.7% from 2012) and total wealth (13%) in 2013, making it the fastest-growing region.
- Within 5 years, Asia would catch up with North America in terms of number of billionaires.
- Asia has 44,505 ultra-high net worth individuals, whose total wealth amounted to USD 6,590 billion.
- The total number of billionaires in the world reached a record 2,170 individuals in 2013. The average net worth of the world’s billionaires was at USD 3 billion.
- The combined net worth of the billionaires’ population became two-fold from $ 3.1 trillion in 2009 to $ 6.5 trillion in 2013 – enough to fund the US budget deficit until 2024, and larger than the GDP of every nation except the US and China.
- Europe has highest number of billionaires (766 individuals).
- North America has the most billionaire wealth (USD 2,158 billion).
- Around 60% of billionaires are self-made, while 40% inherited their wealth or grew their fortunes from inheritance.
Only 17% of female billionaires are self-made, while 71% gained their fortunes through inheritance.