Goverdhan Mehta awarded Germany’s Cross of the Order of Merit
Chemical scientist and well-known researcher Goverdhan Mehta has been conferred with Germany’s prestigious Cross of the Order of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz) Award.
The award was bestowed upon him by Achim Fabig, German Consul General in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
About Goverdhan Mehta
- Goverdhan Mehta is former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hyderabad (UoH) from 1994 to 1998. He has authored more than 400 research papers.
- He also had served as the Director of the IISc, Bengaluru (1998 to 2005) and was also President of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- At present he is the National Research Professor and Lilly-Jubilant Chair Professor at the University of Hyderabad.
- He is also a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) and a Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Science.
- Awards and Honours: He has been conferred with Padma Shri, Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur’ by the President of France, Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award in Chemical Sciences and H.K. Firodia Award for Science & Technology.
- In 1995, he became the first Indian scientist to receive the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award.
About Cross of the Order of Merit
- The award is also known as Bundesverdienstkreuz (in German) was instituted in 1951.
- It is Germany’s only honour that is awarded to both Germans and foreigners in all fields of endeavour.
- It is the highest tribute paid to individuals for achievements in economic, social political or intellectual realm.
- It is also bestowed upon persons for all kinds of outstanding services to the nation in the field of social, charitable or philanthropic work.
Categories: Awards Current Affairs 2017