Government to relaunch Direct Benefits Transfer Scheme
The Union Cabinet has approved the relaunch of the Direct Benefits Transfer scheme with some modifications.
Some of the salient points pertaining to the new scheme are:-
- Scheme is to launched in 54 districts from November 15, 2014 and in the rest of the country from January 1, 2015
- It will be implemented in mission mode between 10 November and 1 January 2015
- The subsidy amount to be given per domestic subsidized LPG cylinder shall remain fixed
- Future beneficiaries can receive the cash subsidies by linking their Aadhaar number with the LPG connection, and have their bank account as the primary option. Alternatively, they can also directly link their LPG connection with their bank account, and may or may not include Aadhaar as the secondary option. In any scenario, possession of an Aadhaar number will not be a requirement, which is in conformity with a SC verdict which said that Aadhaar card cannot be made mandatory because it has no legal backing
- Persons who have opened accounts under the newly introduced Jan Dhan Yojana can also link their LPG connection to such an account.
- Persons without bank accounts or Aadhaar will also receive subsidized LPG cylinder for some time
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking