Government sets up mechanism to prevent wastage of foodgrain
The government has set up a detailed mechanism to ensure procurement of good quality foodgrain, its safe storage, transportation and distribution in order to prevent wastage of foodgrain.
Some key points in the mechanism to prevent wastage of foodgrain:
- The procurement of foodgrain is to be according to the uniform specifications formulated by the government.
- Procured foodgrain are to be stored in scientific storage system. During storage, prescribed code of practices are to be followed to avoid any damage/wastage.
- There is a regular monitoring mechanism under which inspections at all levels are carried out to ensure safe preservations of foodgrain in Food Corporation of India (FCI) godowns.
- The FCI and the state governments are to ensure that all godowns are constructed as per specifications.
- In order to check moisture from seeping into foodgrain, adequate dunnage materials such as wooden crates, bamboo mats, polythene sheets are to be used.
- Pest-control measures like providing fumigation covers, nylon ropes, nets and insecticides will be taken in all the godowns.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking