Govt to launch Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
Government is set to launch a new programme, the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan to uplift rural India. This programme will be launched in collaboration with the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) and the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) across the country.
The main idea for launching the programme is to provide definitive research that can be aligned with national development.
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development. It will be coordinated and steered by IIT Delhi.
Key Points about Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
- The programme, with the help of IITs, NITs and other leading technical institutions will prepare a roadmap for holistic rural development.
- It will involve engaging with communities around each institute and for their upliftment.
- Each IIT will identify 10 villages in its neighbourhood and work out technologies to solve the most pressing issues of the region.
- Different teams from these institutes will visit the villages, identify problems and then aim to find financially-viable schemes.
- Once the solution is identified then they will involve the industry in this to solve the problem.
- Along with the HRD ministry and the institutes, some other ministries such as rural development and NGOs working in villages are also likely to be involved in the programme.
- Some of the problems that the institutes will be looking at are, supply of potable water, sanitation, energy and low cost housing.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018