HAL signs contract with IAF to supply 14 Dornier-228 aircrafts
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has signed a Rs. 1,090-crore contract for supplying 14 Dornier-228 (Do-228) aircraft’s to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
The contract also includes supplying six reserve engines, a flight simulator and associated equipment to IAF.
These 14 aircraft’s will be manufactured by the HAL’s Transport Aircraft Division at Kanpur.
Key facts about Dornier Do-228 aircraft
- The Dornier Do-228 was designed and developed by Dornier GmbH in the late 1970s.
- The aircraft cockpit allows for two-person operation and can carry 19 passengers in the commuter version.
- It is reliable, multipurpose and fuel efficient aircraft.
- It has special feature to operate from smaller airfields because of its light weight design and a retractable tricycle landing gear.
HAL Dornier-228 production background
- HAL holds the license to locally produce the Do-228 aircraft. Since 1983, HAL has produced more than 125 Do-228 aircraft.
- Earlier, HAL had supplied this aircraft to Indian Armed Forces and also exported them to Indian Ocean nations of Seychelles and Mauritius.
- In 2014, HAL had supplied one Do-228 aircraft to Bangalore-based Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) for testing its new radars on flight.
Categories: Defence Current Affairs