Harinder Sidhu appointed as new Australian High Commissioner to India
Indian-origin Harinder Sidhu has been appointed as Australian High Commissioner to India. She replaces outgoing High Commissioner Patrick Suckling.
She is second envoy from Australia with Indian roots after Peter Varghese who had ancestral roots to southern Indian state of Kerala.
About Harinder Sidhu
- Harinder Sidhu’s was born in Singapore and later migrated to Australia. Her family hailed from Punjab.
- She holds a Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws degrees from the University of Sydney.
- Prior to this appointment, she was serving as s senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- She was also serving as First Assistant Secretary of the Multilateral Policy Division. Previously, she had served overseas in Moscow (Russia) and Damascus (Syria).
- In her previous roles she also had served as First Assistant Secretary in the Department of Climate Change.
- She also had served as Assistant Director-General in the Office of National Assessments and Senior Adviser in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Currently, United States Ambassador to India Richard Verma is also of Indian origin and his parents hailed from Punjab. While Canadian High Commissioner to India Nadir Patel was born in Gujarat.