Hindi Scholar and writer Surendra Verma selected for 2016 Vyas Samman award
Renowned Hindi Scholar, litterateur and playwright Surendra Verma (75) was selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman 2016.
He was chosen for this award for his novel Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha : Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se, published in 2010.
About Surendra Verma
- Born on September 7, 1941 in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh
- He had started his career as a teacher and later writing stories.
- His first play was Surya ki antim kiran sesurya kipahli kiran tak (From the Sun’s Last Ray to the Sun’s First Ray`). It has been translated in six different languages
- So far he has published fifteen titles of short stories, novels, satires and play. Some of them Mujhe Chand Chahiyae, Surya Ki Antim Kiran Se Surya Ki Pahli Kiran Tak, Athwan Sarg and Qaid-e-Hayat etc.
- Awards and Honours: He has won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1993) and Sahitya Akademi Award (1996).
About Vyas Samman award
The Vyas Samman award award was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation in 1991. It is awarded annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored and published in past 10 years by an Indian citizen. The award carries monetary award of 2.5 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque.