Horticulture Production in India
The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare has released the final estimates for 2017-18 and the first estimates for 2018-19 of area and production of horticulture crops.
Findings from the Estimates
The important findings from the estimates are:
- India’s horticulture production is estimated to rise by 1 per cent to record 314.67 million tonnes in 2018-19 on the higher area.
- The final estimates of the 2017-18, horticulture production stood at record 311.7 MT, which is 3.7 per cent higher than the previous year and 10 per cent higher than the past five years.
- The estimates put forward that area under coverage increased to 25.87 million hectares from 25.43 million hectares.
- The Production of Onion in 2018-19 is likely to be around 23.62 million tonnes (MT) as against 23.26 MT in 2017-18.
- The Production of Potato in 2018-19 is likely to be around 52.58 MT as against 51.31 MT in 2017-18.
- The Production of Tomato in 2018-19 is likely to be around 20.51 MT as against 19.76 MT in 2017-18.
- The production of fruits is estimated to be at 97.35 MT and that of vegetables at about 187.5 MT.
The estimates are based on the information received from different states and Union territories.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking