IAF conducts day-night exercise ‘Iron-fist 2016’ at Pokhran firing range
The Indian Air Force (IAF) has conducted its flagship day-night exercise ‘Iron-fist 2016’ at Pokhran firing range in Rajasthan.
The day-night exercise demonstrating IAF’s combat and fire power was conducted in the presence of Hon’ble President Shri Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The event comprised 6 packages depicting 6 different themes in which more than 180 aircraft, including fighters, transport and helicopters of IAF participated. They are
- Fly Past: It depicted the great journey of the IAF over 8 decades with the aircraft of yesteryear flying wing to wing along with the latest acquisitions of the IAF.
- Net Enabled Operations: It showcased the indigenously developed Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEWCS) of aircrafts. It also displayed multiple aircraft weapon delivery demonstration of precision based bombing at simulated enemy targets.
- Air Defence Operations: The multi-layered Air Defence Operations of the IAF was demonstrated by the Flight Refuelling aircraft (IL-78 FRA) along with two Su-30 aircraft and the indigenously built Light Combat Aircraft ‘Tejas’.
- Combat Support Operations: It showcased the very important role played by the IAF in support of the ground forces using live weapons. The assault landing capability of C-130 J aircraft and fire fighting capability of the Mi-17V5 were also displayed.
- Flying Displays: It displayed aerobatic displays by the Sarangs, Suryakirans and the Su-30.
- All Weather Operations: The night capabilities of the IAF were also displayed with number of targets were engaged in this phase by fighters, transport aircraft and helicopters using rockets as well as bombs.
The event mainly showcased more than 22 types of platforms and Weapons Systems of IAF. Frontline fighter aircraft including Sukhoi-30, Mirage-2000, Jaguar, MiG-29, Attack helicopters, Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) and high tech AWACS were displayed during the show. IAF’s indigenous project – Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) “Tejas” was also a part. Transport aircraft like An-32, IL-76, IL-78, Embraer and C-130J also participated.