IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal awarded 2015 GD Birla Award
IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal has been awarded the twenty-fifth GD Birla Award for Scientific Research for the year 2015.
He has been bestowed with this award for his significant contributions have been in the area of Mechanics.
About Sanjay Mittal
- He is Professor at the Department of Aerospace Engineering in the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur.
- He was instrumental in establishing the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility at IIT Kanpur. He also heads the National Wind Tunnel Facility.
- His most significant contribution has been in the area of Bluff Body Flows (flows past blunt bodies associated with large unsteady separation and leading to large fluid forces).
- He is among a very few researchers in India who have worked on and used Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for fluid flows.
- He also has worked in the area of sports aerodynamics. His team was able to bring out the aerodynamic difference between a synthetic shuttle cock and duck-feather.
About GD Birla Award
- It is an annual scientific award bestowed upon Indian scientist below the age of 50, living and working in India for their outstanding scientific research, mostly during past 5 years.
- The award is given Indian scientist in any branch of science and technology including medical science, basic as well as applied.
- It was established 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation in the honour of philanthropist Ghanshyam Das Birla.
- The award carries cash prize of 2.5 lakh rupees and a citation. The selection of the award is made by a board comprising eminent scientists.