IMD, POSOCO ink MoU for optimum use of weather information
India Meteorological Department (IMD) and Power System Operation Corporation Ltd (POSOCO) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for optimum use of weather information and forecast in the power sector.
The aim of MoU is to enable power operators, generators and utilities to make optimum use of their supply and generation capacities with knowledge of weather conditions obtained from IMD.
Key provisions of MoU
- All weather information provided by IMD will be used by power system operators across India for better power management and analysis.
- IMD will provide current weather information for identified stations, and forecasts at different time scales.
- It will provide information such as temperature, rainfall, wind speed, humidity, wind direction and other meteorological parameters.
- IMD will also provide predicted warnings about likely occurrences of thunderstorm, cold wave, heat wave, fog and rainfall over various states up to the next 72 hours.
- State and region-wise monthly and seasonal outlooks of weather conditions will be also provided.
- Both parties will share and provide expert opinion in areas of weather information and its effect on the power distribution system.
- Data and inputs will be also exchanged in order to encourage further study and research.
POSOCO, on the other hand, will endeavor for economic assessment of impact of weather and climate information provided by IMD.
Thus, the MoU will help to meet precise needs of the energy sector is one of many spheres of human activity that are highly dependent on weather conditions.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking