India 5th biggest generator of e-waste in 2014: UN report
As per recently released Global E-Waste Monitor 2014 report by United Nations, India is the fifth biggest producer of e-waste in the world.
The report was compiled by UN think tank United Nations University (UNU).
Key facts from report
- Top 5 e-waste producing nations: US, China, Japan, Germany and India.
- In case of wealthy nations top 5 e-waste producers are Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark, and United Kingdom.
- US and China have produced the most e-waste in 2014. Both nations account for 32 percent of total e-waste produced in the world in 2014.
- India has discarded around 1.7 million tonnes (Mt) of e-waste in 2014.
- In 2014, around 41.8 Mt of e-waste was produced all over world and it is expected to rise by 21 percent to 50 million Mt in 2018.
- In terms of continent wise, Asia has produced most e-waste per inhabitant in year 2014 by producing 16 Mt i.e. 3.7 kg per inhabitant.
- Top three Asian e-waste producing nations are- China (6.0Mt), Japan (2.2Mt) and India (1.7Mt).
- While, Africa has generated lowest amount of e-waste per inhabitant by producing 9 Mt i.e. 1.7 kg per inhabitant.