India and Bangladesh to co-produce movie on Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
India and Bangladesh will jointly produce a feature movie on life and works of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (founding father of People’s Republic of Bangladesh) and also a documentary on Bangladesh Liberation War (1971). India’s state broadcaster Prasar Bharati will co-produce the film.
- The decision was taken after Bangladeshi delegation led by Dr. Gowher Rizvi (adviser to Prime Minister of Bangladesh) recently met secretary and other officials of Information & Broadcasting Ministry and focussed on various aspects of making of feature film.
- The announcement is a culmination of three-year dialogue between India and Bangladesh on the issue. Earlier, decision of co-production was announced by Prime Ministers of India Narendra Modi and of Bangladesh Prime Ministers Sheikh Hasina.
- The movie announcement comes in backdrop of raging debate on National Register of Citizens (NRC) in northeast which seeks to disenfranchise Bangladeshi migrants.
- Movie on Sheikh Mujibur Rahman will be directed by renowned filmmaker Shyam Benegal and script will be written by Atul Tiwari.
- Bangladeshi Delegation assured full cooperation in ensuring smooth logistics for shooting movie in Bangladesh.
- For documentary on Bangladesh Liberation War (1971) it was mutually agreed that director would be from Bangladesh and he will be assisted by a co-director from India.
- Other decisions: Prasar Bharati agreed to carry Bangladesh TV on DD Free Dish platform without charging carriage fees (i.e. free of cost.). In a reciprocal gesture, delegation from Bangladesh announced that a Doordarshan channel will be adopted on the about to launched DTH platform of Bangladesh. A working agreement on cooperation between All India Radio (India’s national public radio broadcaster) and Bangladesh Betar (state-owned radio broadcasting organisation of Bangladesh) was also agreed upon between the two countries starting from next month.