India falls nine places to 140th rank in World Press Freedom Index
India has stumbled nine places to 140th position in the list of 179 countries in the latest World Press Freedom Index2013. India’s show is worst since 2002. The decline is attributed to increasing impunity for violence against journalists and because internet censorship continues to grow.
- China moved a position up at 173rd rank showing little signs of improvement.
- The list is topped by three European countries – Finland, Netherlands and Norway.
- At the bottom of the list are Turkmenistan, North Korea and Eritrea.
- The Maldives crashed to 103rd spot losing 30 places.
- Pakistan stood at 159th rank after losing 8 positions and Nepal slipped 12 positions down to 118th spot.
Categories: International Current Affairs 2017