India ranks 4th in 2016 Global Wind Power Installed Capacity Index
India ranked 4th in the Global Wind Power Installed Capacity index with cumulative installed wind power generation capacity of 25,088 MW in 2015.
The index was released was released as part Global Wind Report: Annual Market, flagship publication of the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC).
- The index was topped by China, followed by US and Germany with cumulative installed wind power generation capacity of 145362 MW, 74471 MW and 44947 MW respectively.
- Both Europe and the US markets performed better than expected and the European offshore sector set a new record, installing just over 3 GW. Canada, Mexico and Brazil all had strong years.
- South Africa was the first market in Africa to pass the 1,000 MW in 2015 and alongside Egypt, Morocco, Ethiopia and Kenya were also leading development in that market.
- Brazil continues to lead in Latin America, followed by Chile and Uruguay and a potentially very large market is just now opening up in Argentina.
- India has achieved the largest-ever wind power capacity addition of 3,423 MW in 2015-16, exceeding the target by 44%.