India to train 1,000 civil servants of Maldives over next 5 years
India’s leading civil services training institution, National Center for Good Governance (NCGG) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Maldives Civil Services Commission for capacity building (training) of 1,000 civil servants of Maldives over next five years. This agreement was signed during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent visit to Male (Maldives capital).
- Background: In April 2019, NCGG had trained 28 Maldives civil servants, thus this successful engagement encouraged two countries to enter into an agreement and take their capacity building collaboration forward. Other than Maldives, NCCG had also successfully conducted training programmes for civil servants of Bangladesh, Myanmar and Gambia.
- Expenses: All expenses of training programme will be borne by Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Nodal Agency: As per the MoU, NCGG will be nodal institution for designing and implementation of customised training modules that will be undertaken during training, and it must take into account all requirements of Maldives Civil Services Commission.
- Training Areas: The training programme areas will include: public policy and governance, public administration, information technology (IT), e-governance and service delivery, agro-based practices, best practices in fisheries in coastal areas, urban development and planning, self-help group (SHG) initiatives, ethics in administration and challenges in implementation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Selection: Maldives will nominate suitable civil servants in senior/executive/middle management levels as per the agreed timelines.
- Civil Services Training Institute, a subsidiary of Maldives Civil Services Commission, will get the required assistance from NCGG, for developing training programmes and materials and also for organising exchange of experts as needed by Commission.
Categories: Governance & Politics
Tags: Civil Services Training Institute • e-governance • India-Maldives • Maldives' Civil Services Commission • Memorandum of Understanding • National Center for Good Governance • NCGG • Prime Minister Narendra Modi • Sustainable Development Goals • Union Ministry of External Affairs