India, UK sign pact on boosting co-operation in Earth Sciences
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed b/w India and UK to strengthen their cooperation in Earth Sciences and environmental research by sharing information on meteorology, hydrology and climate variability.
The MoU was inked b/w the Earth System Science Organisation (ESSO) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) Govt. of India and UK’s Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
How would it help?
- It will help in improving the forecasting capability of various weather and climate related phenomena and natural hazards through sharing of knowledge, expertise and experience.
About Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Earth System Science Organization (ESSO) and Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
About Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES):
- Provides the nation with best possible services in forecasting the monsoons and other weather/climate parameters, ocean state, earthquakes, tsunamis and other phenomena related to earth systems through well integrated programmes.
- Deals with science and technology for exploration and exploitation of ocean resources (living and non-living), and play nodal role for Antarctic/Arctic and Southern Ocean research.
- Looks after Atmospheric Sciences, Ocean Science and Technology, cryosphere and geosciences in an integrated manner.
- The department carries its programmes through National Institute of Ocean Technology and other R&D Institutes & Universities.
- Government of India established Department of Ocean Development in 1981 with an aim of creating a deeper understanding of the oceanic regime of the northern and central Indian Ocean and also development of technology and technological aids for harnesssing of resources and understanding of various physical, chemical and biological processes.
- The Ocean Policy was enunciated in 1982.
About Earth System Science Organization (ESSO):
- Objective: To address various aspects relating to earth processes for understanding the variability of earth system.
- Vision: To excel in knowledge and technology enterprise for the earth system science realm towards socio-economic benefit of the Indian sub-continent and in the Indian Ocean region.
About Natural Environment Research Council (NERC):
- Key agency of UK for funding and managing research, training and knowledge exchange in the environmental sciences.
UK and Indian scientists from NERC and ESSO-MoES have been collaborating to address environmental change. In 2012 the two agencies jointly funded five collaborative research projects for Changing Water Cycle programme.