India and UNESCO ink Letter of intent (LoI) to cooperate in reducing disaster risks
India and the UNSECO have signed a letter of intent (LoI) for better cooperation in the field of reducing disaster risks and capacity-building In Earth Sciences. The LoI was signed between Ministry of Earth Sciences and UNESCO in the presence of Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Irina Bokova, Director General, UNESCO.
- The cooperation between India and UNSECO has been going on for several years now in reducing disaster risks.
- This LoI is considered as historic moment and will help to open up of new vistas of cooperation in not only the ocean-related studies but other areas of cooperation in different fields of scientific activities.
- It will help India to upgrade tsunami warning system and improve the capacity to alert nations about it.
- India has done a considerable research in the field of oceanography and also in terms of disaster management.
- The cooperation is also at the level of universities and institutions. Such cooperation helps in risk reduction especially in situation like tsunami and other natural disaster.
Categories: International Current Affairs 2018