Indian-American Sunil Sabharwal took charge as Alternate Executive Director at IMF
Sunil Sabharwal, an independent Indian-American investor took charge as Alternate Executive Director at International Monetary Fund (IMF).
He took the charge after his appointed was confirmed by the US Senate. Earlier he was re-nominated to this key post at IMF by US President Barack Obama.
With this he becomes first Indian-American to occupy a key administration post at the IMF.
The post of Alternate Executive Director us one of the most powerful position in the IMF considering the 16.81 per cent voting share (highest) of US in the total IMF voting share.
About Sunil Sabharwal
- Sabharwal was to Indian father and a Hungarian mother born in 1964 in New Delhi and later moved to Budapest, Hungary.
- He had worked at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development as Principal Banker from 1992 to 1996.
- Later he moved at GE Capital and held several positions including Managing Director (MD) from 1997 to 2003.
- Sabharwal also had served as Senior Vice President of Strategic Investments at First Data Corporation/Western Union from 2003 to 2006.
- Since 2006, he has been an independent investor in the payments sector. He had served as Chairman of the Board of Ogone, a European ecommerce payment services company.