Indian-born Mr. Satya Nadella appointed as the new Microsoft CEO
Indian-born Mr. Satya Nadella (46) appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and member of the Board of Directors of the Internet giant Microsoft. Previously, he was the executive vice president of Microsoft’s cloud and enterprise group, responsible for building and running the company’s computing platforms, developer tools and cloud services.
Mr. Nadella is only the third chief executive in Microsoft’s 39-year history, following co-founder Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. He succeeded Mr. Steve Ballmer.
About Mr. Satya Nadella
- Born: 1967 in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- Residence:Bellevue, Washington, US.
- Started career as a member of the technology staff at Sun Microsystems.
- Joined Microsoft in1992.
- Played a major role in Microsoft’s transition to the cloud: During his long tenure, he lead major strategy and technical shifts across the company’s portfolio of products and services viz. development of one of the largest cloud infrastructures in the world supporting Bing, Xbox, Office and other services.
- Played a key role in bringing some of Microsoft’s most popular technologies viz. its database, Windows server and developer tools, to the cloud, called Window Azure.
- Helped Microsoft to bring a cloud version of Microsoft Office to the cloud, Office 365. Microsoft says Office 365 is one of its fastest growing products ever.
- Currently, responsible for a huge, largely invisible part of Microsoft’s business.
Note: As per Mr. Nadella’s new employment agreement, the Indian-origin CEO of software major Microsoft will be paid his salary on “semi-monthly” basis at an annual rate of $1.2 million (Rs 7.5 crore). His annual salary would be determined by the company’s Executive Incentive Programme (EIP).