Indian-origin politician Pravin Gordhan becomes South Africa’s Finance Minister
An Indian-origin politician, Pravin Gordhan has been appointed as South Africa’s new Finance Minister.
With this he becomes country’s third Finance Minister in a week. He replaces David van Rooyen who was appointed on 10 November 2015. Earlier President Jacob Zuma had sacked incumbent Nhlanhla Nene from Finance Ministry.
About Pravin Gordhan
- Born 12 April 1949 in Durban. He is trained and worked as a pharmacist in Durban
- He was one of the main negotiators in the drafting of South Africa’s democratic constitution from 1991-1994.
- He had served as a commissioner in South Africa’s revenue service (SARS) from 1999-2009
- Gordhan had served as Finance Minister from 2009-2014 and was widely respected for his work.
- Prior to this appointment he was serving as Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs.
Categories: Persons in News 2017