India’s first International Women Trade Centre to be set up in Kerala
Kerala is to set up its first International Women Trade Centre in terms of the United Nations Sustainable Development goals. This is first of its kind in India.
The Centre will accelerate women entrepreneurship. It will provide a safe place away from home to start a business, expand and get their products marketed globally. The Women Trade Centre will enable women entrepreneurs to participate in international trade, enhance competitiveness, and enjoy greater economic benefits.
The International Women Trade Centre will dedicate space to women to promote arts and cultural forms such as music, dance and theatre for women. The building will hold a creche and a day care centre for children.
The Centre has been established under the Green Park initiative of Kerala.
Green Park Initiative
It was established in 2013 by the State Government of Kerala. It focuses on gender equality and empowerment in the state. It is a platform for research, policy analysis, capacity development, social and economic initiative. The following are the initiatives being run by the park
- International Conference on Gender Equality
- It is hosted in association with United Nations Women
- UN Women is United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women
- International Institute for Gender and Development-WISE fellowship. WISE is Women in Sustainable Entrepreneurship fellowship programme
- International Women Trade Centre
- Gender Museum
- Gender Library
- She Taxi. This programme is of great success. It is the first of its kind. The women are the owners and drivers of their vehicles.
The Government of India has launched several programmes to boost the women entrepreneurship in the country. One such is the Women Entrepreneurship Platform.
Women Entrepreneurship Platform
It was launched by NITI Aayog on International Women’s Day in 2018. The platform helps to build vibrant ecosystem for women and help them realise their entrepreneurial aspirations. It addresses bottlenecks faced by both established and aspiring women entrepreneurs. It powers vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem to enable industry collaborations, mentors, and peer-to-peer connect.