India’s first Harbour Defence System commissioned in Kochi
India’s first Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS) was commissioned in Kochi, Kerala.
First of its kind system in the country is part of initiatives to strengthen and beef up coastal security in the western coastline.
About Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS)
- Designed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- Consists of advance sensors, coastal surveillance radars and sound navigation and ranging systems (SONAR).
- Capable of detecting, tracking, identifying and generating warning for all types of underwater and surface threats to harbour security.
- The integrated system can detect presence of divers and under water threats with the help of this automatic system.
- The system has been contracted by Integrated Headquarters of Union Ministry of Defence in 2012. Henceforth it will operate under the control of the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Kerala).
- Presently, similar kind of systems are fitted in over 150 locations across the world including in South America, Caribbean, Mediterranean countries and Africa.