International Day of Families observed on 15 May
The International Day of Families is observed on 15 May every year. Its annual observance reflects the importance international community acknowledges and attaches to families and roles played by them in development.
- About: The United Nations (UN) recognizes family as basic unit of society. Therefore, in 1992 the UN General Assembly (UNGA) with resolution A/RES/47/237 proclaimed 15 May as The International Day of Families. In many countries, this IDF serves as an opportunity to highlight various areas of interest and importance to families.
- Objective: It seeks to promote awareness of issues relating to families and also aims to increase knowledge of demographic, economic and social processes affecting them.
- Organized By: IFD observance is organized by ‘Division for Inclusive Social Development’ (DISD), which is part of UN’s Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) and Global Communications Civil Society.
About International Day of Families 2019
- The Theme for IFD 2019: is “Families and Climate Action: Focus on (Sustainable Development Goals) SDG 13”. The theme commemorates the day to focus on various roles of families for achievement of Sustainable Development Goals from SDG1 to SDG5 and SDG 16.
- Significance: The 2019 observance of IDF primarily focuses on families, family policies and major SDG 13 targets –
- SDG-13 target 13.3: which states to raise awareness, improve education and human and institutional capacity on climate change early warning, adaptation, impact reduction and mitigation.
- SDG-13 target 13.2: it states to integrate climate change measures by nations into their national planning, policies and strategies.
- Importance: The Families and family-oriented policies and programmes are important for achievement of many of the SDGs, which were adopted by 193 member states of the United Nations (UN) in 2015.
Categories: Events & Observances
Tags: DISD • Division for Inclusive Social Development • Global Communications Civil Society • International Day of Families • SDGs • Sustainable Development Goals • UN • UN General Assembly • UN resolution A/RES/47/237 • UNDESA • UNGA