January 12: National Youth Day
In India, January 12 is being observed as National Youth Day. This day marks birth anniversary of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda.
On this day, numbers of functions are being organised nationwide to celebrate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda. This year it is The 153rd birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- Union Government in 1984 had declared and decided to observe the birthday of Swami Vivekananda i.e. 12 January as a National Youth Day every year from 1985 onwards.
- Significance of day: It will help to propagate the philosophy and the ideals of Swami Vivekananda for which he lived and worked. It will also help and act as a great source of inspiration for the Indian Youth.
About Swami Vivekananda
- Swami Vivekananda was born on 12 January 1863 as Narendranath Dutta and died on 4 July 1902.
- He was chief disciple of the 19th century saint Ramakrishna Paramhamsa and the founder of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
- He was one of the most prominent figures of India who introduced Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the “Western” World.
- His inspiring speech given at World’s Religions Parliament held at Chicago in 1893 is famous.
Categories: Events & Observances