Justice A K Sikri appointed as the Chairperson of NBSA
Former Supreme Court judge, Justice A K Sikri is appointed as the chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) by the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) .
He will succeed current Chairperson Justice(Retd.) R.V. Raveendran (also a former Judge of Supreme Court) who completes his term on 25 May. He will assume office of Chairperson of NBSA from 26 May 2019.
About Justice Sikri
- In 1977 he enrolled as an Advocate and commenced his practise in Delhi.
- In 199 he was elevated as Judge to Delhi High Court (HC).
- In 2011 for a very short time, he was appointed as acting Chief Justice of the Delhi HC. Later in 2012 he was appointed as Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- In April 2013, he was elevated as judges to Supreme Court of India. He served as SC judge for about six years and retired in March 2019.
About News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA)
- It is an independent body (free from any interference from NBA) for self-regulation of 24×7 news channels, who are members of NBA. It is basically a self-regulatory mechanism which was set up by News Broadcasters Association (NBA).
- The aim behind setting NBSA was to improve broadcasting standards and adhere to Code of Ethics (to regulate television content) that were adopted by NBA in November 2007.
- NBSA act as an in-house regulator discharges function as a watchdog.
- It decides about complaints made against any member broadcasters who might have allegedly violated (or offended) Code of Ethics, Guidelines and Advisories that are issued from time to time.
- NBSA is empowered to censure, warn, express disapproval, admonish, and penalize the broadcaster with a fine of sum upto Rs. 1 lakh for violation of Code.
- The Broadcast Editors’ Association, is another such organization.
- The Advertising Standards Council of India has also drawn certain guidelines on content of advertisements.
- These groups do not have any statutory powers and are govern through agreements.
Categories: Persons in News
Tags: Chairperson of NBSA • Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court • Code of Ethics • Justice A K Sikri • Justice(Retd.) R.V. Raveendran • Media • NBA • NBSA • News Broadcasters Association • News Broadcasting Standards Authority • Supreme Court Judge