Kannan Ramesh appointed as Judicial Commissioner to Supreme Court of Singapore
Indian-origin lawyer, Kannan Ramesh has been appointed as Judicial Commissioner to Singapore’s Supreme Court bench.
He will assume office from 22 May 2015 and have tenure of two years. Prior to this appointment, he was the managing partner of Tan Kok Quan.
With this appointment Singapore’s Supreme Court will have a total of 10 Judicial Commissioners, 13 Judges and 5 senior judges.
About Kannan Ramesh
- In 1990, Ramesh graduated from the National University of Singapore.
- As a lawyer, he specializes in legal cases related to insolvency and restructuring, dispute resolution, and international arbitration.
- In 2013, he was appointed a senior counsel for his recognition as the best and most skilful advocates in the legal profession.
About Judicial Commissioner
- This post was created in 1986 to get senior counsels from private practices to sit on the bench and help clear the backlog of Supreme Court cases.
- Judicial Commissioners are appointed for a specific period and have the powers equivalent to a judge of Supreme Court.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018