Lionel Messi wins 2015 FIFA Ballon d’Or award
Barcelona FC forward Lionel Messi from Argentina has won the 2015 FIFA Ballon d’Or Award.
He has earned this title of world’s best football player for record fifth time. Earlier he was conferred with this award in 2010 (inaugural), 2011, 2012 and 2012.
For this edition of prize, Messi secured 41.33% of the votes pipped current holder and three-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo (27.76% votes), as well as his Barclona teammate Neymar (7.86% votes).
Other 2015 winners
- FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year: Carli Lloyd (United States)
- FIFA Puskás Award: Wendell Lira.
- World Coach of the Year (Men’s): Luis Enrique (Barcelona FC).
- World Coach of the Year (Women’s): Jill Ellis (United Staes).
- FIFA Fair Play Award: All football organisations supporting refugees
About FIFA Ballon d’Or Award
- It is an annual football association award given by FIFA to the male player who has performed the best in the previous calendar year.
- This award was instituted in 2010 after France Football’s Ballon d’Or and the men’s FIFA World Player of the Year award were merged.
It is awarded to the male player, based upon highest votes secured by him from national team coaches and captains, as well as journalists from around the world.