Literacy rate 71% in rural areas, 86% in urban areas: NSSO survey
National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) survey has pegged literacy rate in the rural areas at 71 per cent and 86 per cent in the urban areas in year 2014.
It was revealed in NSSO’s 71st Round of survey on Social Consumption: Education which was conducted from January to June 2014.
As per the NSSO survey
- Literacy among the age group of 7 year and above: Male literacy rate- 83 percent, female literacy rate- 67 per cent.
- Adult literacy (age 15 years and above) rate: It was around 71 per cent. In rural areas- 64 per cent, urban areas- 84 per cent.
- Education level of graduation and above: It was 4.5 per cent of males and 2.2 per cent of females in rural areas. While, in urban areas it was 17 per cent of males and 13 per cent of females.
- Primary level students: 72 per cent in rural areas and 31 per cent in urban areas.
- Upper primary level: 76 per in rural areas and38 per cent in urban areas.
- Secondary and Higher secondary level: 64 per cent in rural areas and 38 per cent in urban areas.
The 71st Round of survey had covered entire country with samples taken from 29,447 households in urban areas and 36,479 households in rural areas from 3,720 urban blocks and 4,577 villages.
Categories: Reports & Indices